Buying Property Guide
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
Where in the World are Antonio and Dante?
Antonio & Dante's Next Adventure
|We are at Rocca Calascio
|"Antonio, the view from up here is awesome!"|
|"Dante this is so cool! I am glad we decided to make the trek up to the castle."|
|Below are just some of the interesting facts about the Rocca Calascio Castle.|
- Rocca Calascio is located in the province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
- The Rocca also lies within the Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park
Here is how you can get to Rocca Calascio by car
- From Rome take the A24 motorway to Teramo
- Take the L'Aquila exit and follow the signs to Pescara
- Turn left heading toward Barisciano and follow to Calascio
- At the end of the village follow the signs to Rocca Calascio
- This is the highest fortress in Italy
- It is 1,460 meters (4,790 feet) above sea level
- It's coordinates are 42°19'44.28"N, 13°41'20.20"E
- A single watchtower was built in the 10th century
- In the 13th century the remainder of the Rocca was built
- Located below the Rocca is the Santa Maria della Pietà, which is an octagon shaped church that was built in the 17th century
- It was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1703 and never rebuilt
- Population was estimated at 800 people in the 1600's and zero in the mid 1950's
- The final scene of the movie Ladyhawke (1985) was filmed here (The film featured Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer)
|Italy is full of hidden gems that lie just off the beaten track. These hidden gems are well worth the time and the views they can give you are breathtaking.|
|"Ciao for now - see you next week for a whole new traveling adventure!"|
|How did you like our latest adventure? We would love to hear from you! Just send us an email to email@example.com. Here is how you can help us on our journey.|
Abruzzo Clothing & Novelties
Abruzzo Photo Gallery
Abruzzo Region Guide
Rocca Calascio Photo Gallery
Shirts & Novelties
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.