Buying Property Guide
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
|Tomato Sauce with Red Wine
|Recipe contributed by Joe Barracato
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine (merlot or chianti)
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced fine
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 4 large leaves fresh basil torn up into pieces or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 28 ounces can with juice, Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh parsley (or more basil leaves chopped, for garnish when serving)
Makes three 24 ounce jars.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, then the wine, canned tomatoes with the juice and tomato paste and water. Mix well, bring to a boil, lower heat to low and continue to cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add basil and bay leaf , and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cheese. Stir to blend continue to simmer on low for 45 minutes more or until desired thickness.
Taste - Add salt and black pepper to taste as needed.
Remove the bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh parsley or basil to garnish and serve over pasta or simply serve dip for garlic knots.
Italian Recipe Index
Submit a Recipe
Print This Recipe
Shirts & Novelties
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
Huge selection of Italian charms and jewelry.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.
Fine gourmet foods and more.
Customize your trip to Italy.