Art, Cuisine, Famous Italians, Festivals, Folklore, Genealogy, Holidays, Hotels, Photos, Real Estate, Sports, Travel and More
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
Top 10 Reasons to Watch Italy in Euro 2008
The countdown to the famous soccer tournament is on - and you don't want to miss this
Italian soccer has bummed me out for the last few years. In fact, I've been reluctant to talk about it. Yes, as a longtime fan of Italy, I was overjoyed when the squad won the 2006 World Cup in Germany. I was in Italy at the time of the victory and took to the streets to celebrate with the people. But there was still some resentment about the fact about a cheating and gambling scandal that implicated some big name Italian soccer insiders. Still, now that Euro 2008, a tournament for Europe's finest, is around the corner I find myself drawn to the sport once again.
I won't bore any of you with the details of Italy's chances in the tournament or the breakdown of the different groups because you can find that sort of information all over the Internet. Instead, I'll just try to bring you along for the ride by offering the top 10 reasons you should put your resentments aside like I have - and give Italian soccer another chance in Euro 2008:
10. Ladies - and a few men out there - will want to tune into the tournament because the team is as hot as ever. Italian men have a certain reputation about their looks and charm - and the national soccer team usually lives up to expectations in this department.
9. You'll get a chance to see Antonio Cassano, once deemed a soccer prodigy and then lost in the system thanks to a bad attitude and lack of luck. Italian national soccer team Coach Roberto Donadoni called Cassano into the lineup at the last minute, and everyone is wondering how he'll perform.
8. The off-pitch drama is always like a soap opera - and this year is no different. Already Donadoni has shared words with Pippo Inzaghi, who was reportedly outraged that he did not make the squad despite his great performances in Serie A.
7. Defender Gianluca Zambrotta is the calm in the storm and probably one of the most underrated players in the world. You won't want to miss his runs down the field to save his teammates.
6. Watching Euro 2008 will put you in touch with great players from Europe who will face off against Italy, including France's Thierry Henry, Germany's Michael Ballack, and Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo.
5. Sometimes, stopping goals is as breathtaking as scoring them. Italy's goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world - and he just might be the one to keep Italy in the tourney.
4. Soccer, like most other sports, has the power to bring people together. You'll find yourself either celebrating or throwing a pity party with your fellow fans. Head to a sports bar or invite your friends and family over to watch the game. I guarantee you'll feel better no matter what happens.
3.There's nothing like a soccer tournament to bring out the Italian pride in you.
2. Much of the 2006 World Cup-winning Italian team will be in the lineup.
1. The Italians might actually win – and you don't want to miss that!
Shirts & Novelties
Partner Links Shops/Stores Italiansrus Gear
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
Huge selection of Italian charms and jewelry. FORZIERI.com
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.
Fine gourmet foods and more. Gustobene.com
Use code Italiansruspromo to receive a 10% discount off your entire purchase.
Travel Tour Italy
Customize your trip to Italy.